Monday, September 15, 2008

A Cure For The Restless

I think every knitter occasionally experiences bouts of restlessness, feeling uninspired, or whatever you want to call it. I know I do. And anytime I'm in one of those slumps, I'm very much wishing that I could find a way to recreate the feelings of enthusiasm I normally feel for my beloved craft. I also have a habit of mentally drawing parallels between my life/personality and my attitudes and habits in knitting. I think it stems from an ongoing desire to better understand myself and why I do the things I do.

For example, I know there's a part of me that resists change, that prefers the comfort of the familiar. But I also know that when I allow that part of myself to dictate, I always end up feeling like my life has stalled out. I become restless. Un-enthused. Even apathetic. When I get like that, it's always a sure sign that I need to stir things up. Try something new. Reexamine my goals, and maybe set new ones.

When I recently applied those thoughts to my current frustrating bout of knitting apathy, I felt inspired to push myself out of my crafting comfort zone. I cast on for my first pair of socks:



I chose the Hedgerow Socks, a free pattern from Knitter's Review. It was one of several patterns I was considering as a good first sock project. I went with this one because A) it's a widely knit pattern, so if I ran into any problems, I knew I'd have no trouble getting advice from someone who'd already knit them B) they were rated as an "easy" pattern by the 418 Ravelers who've made them C) I wanted something a little more exciting than plain stockinette, which the pretty texture of the Ribbed Stitch pattern provided, and D) within the pattern there's a link to a basic sock tutorial with instructions for all the techniques used in sock knitting (turning the heel, shaping the gusset, etc.).

I completed the first sock last night.



And? Did it do the trick? Was I able to restore my excitement for all things woolly? You tell me. Immediately after finishing the sock last night, I put it on my foot and admired it from every angle my level of flexibility would allow. Then I walked around my living room noticing how the sock felt, never taking my eyes off that foot (it's amazing I didn't walk into a wall). Then I reclined across the couch in front of the t.v. But I can't tell you what was on the idiot box, because I wasn't watching. I was peeking at my newly adorned left foot out of the corner of my eye. Then I sprang up and ran to my shoe closet to try on my brown healed loafers to see how they'd look with my new sock.

Okay, maybe I've just revealed way more dorkiness than any blogger ever should. But I'm a dork who's happy with her knitting. And that's nothing to scoff at.

5 comments:

Jessica, aka TopazGirl said...

Your sock is LOVELY!! Were you ever able to find the Petal yarn you needed for the Buttony?

Hadley Gets Crafty said...

You should give us a picture of your lovely socks in those loafers!

Knittymuggins said...

Congratulations on your first sock!! I remember that feeling myself. Last summer I knit my first pair using the On-Your-Toes Toe-up sock pattern from IK. But this is the part where you might want to be afraid, very afraid. Because it's addicting!

Anyway, I'm glad that it shook things up for you. It's funny, maybe because we share a similar birthdate or something, but I am exactly the same way with my comfort zone and occasional bouts of apathy.

Oh and you're not a dork! Any good knitter does exactly those same things when they've finished something new ;)

knittymuggins

Jen said...

I LOVE the sock!! Great job for a first one too. I'm off printing out the pattern since I think it's gorgeous!

Shay Jacobson said...

Cool article! More people need to read that! You should put it on Wacanai.com ( http://www.wacanai.com/intro ). People post all sorts of articles and instructions on how to make cool stuff. You can link your website to it too. When people search for similar stuff on Wacanai your article will pop up. This should drive a lot more traffic to your article. You can even track how much more traffic you are getting because they have a bunch of graphs and stuff that show how many people are reading your article and how many people are using your info.