Sunday, June 15, 2008

FO: Tooth Fairy Pillow

This was such a quick project it didn't stay on the needles long enough to gain a blog mention. It's a super cute softie for stowing a child's tooth in while awaiting a visit from the Tooth Fairy. No more worries of a tiny tooth getting lost in the bedding, or waking your child as you clumsily fumble in the dark searching for the errant tooth. The little pocket on the back of our enamel-y friend ensures that. This is a free pattern made available by My Fair Katie.

Sophie discovered her first loose tooth a couple weeks ago, and then I stumbled across this pattern on Ravelry during one of my many project queuing sessions.

Tooth Fairy Pillow









Details:
  • Started - June 8, 2008
  • Completed - June 15, 2008
  • Yarn - 1/2 a skein of Cotton Classic by Tahki, in white
  • Needles - set of five size 5 US DPNS, and a size 5 circular in a 16" length
  • Finished Dimensions - 3" wide by 4 1/2" tall
  • My Thoughts - I thought this was a well written pattern with detailed descriptions of all the needed techniques included. There's also a link to a great tutorial on the provisional cast on - this was the first time I used that technique, and I had no problems. I love how the top indents and has all the nooks and crannies of a real tooth.
  • Mods - I opted for a fabric pocket rather than a knitted one. I sewed two layers of a floral print flannel together with right sides facing, leaving an opening for turning. After turning, I pressed and edge-stitched the pocket on my machine. Then I hand-stitched it to the back of the tooth. I also used plastic doll eyes in place of embroidering them on.
  • If I Knit It Again, I Would Change - Nothing! I'm happy with how this turned out. And Sophie squealed when I gave it to her. =) She likes it, and that's what matters most.


4 comments:

Knittymuggins said...

Oh, that is so absolutely adorable!! I'm glad your little one liked it so much :)

knittymuggins

Jessica, aka TopazGirl said...

What a cute idea, and one I'm going to have to snag also. My little one is 5.5 and hasn't had a loose tooth just yet, though he's ready and waiting for that day to come!

Marie said...

This is the cutest toy I have ever seen. I just love it!
Thanks for the link to the pattern. I'm off to find it.

Mrs.Kwitty said...

It is adorable--and I love the sweet fabric you used for the pocket!! How fun for your child to have that special pillow for her tooth losing experiences!!
Smiles, Karen