Monday, June 23, 2008

FO: Child's Classic Ribbed Cardi

This one is long overdue. It's been finished for nearly two months, but for one reason followed by another, I've only just now gotten to photographing and posting about it.

Child's Classic Ribbed Cardi















Details:
  • Started - January 30, 2008
  • Completed - April 30, 2008
  • Pattern - From Bouton d'Or, No. 14 Layette & Junior, Jacket #23
  • Size - The pattern only went up to a size 4 years. Based on the measurements, that size looked like it would fit Sophie (who's 6) width-wise, especially considering it's done in a stretchy rib. I added length to both the body and sleeves, and recalculated the raglan shaping on the fronts, back, and sleeves in order to lengthen it to her measurements. There's a very useful explanation of how to do the latter in Vogue Knitting: The Ultimate Knitting Book.
  • Needles - Pair of size 6 US straights for body, and size 4 US circular for button band and collar
  • Yarn - Rowan All Seasons Cotton. A worsted weight, cotton/acrylic/microfiber blend with 98 yards per skein. I used colorway 186, which is a dusty lilac. Approximately 7 1/4 skeins for a total of 710 yards.
  • Mods - Aside from the sizing modifications, I also omitted the cables at the hem and cuff. I didn't like the way they flared out on the model in the book. Oh yeah, and the pattern called for the yarn "Ksar", by Bouton D'or, which I obviously didn't use.
  • My Thoughts - This was an enjoyable project. I made it with a little room to grow, so Sophie will be able to wear it for years to come. I know she likes it because she requested to wear it often when the weather was still cool, and would tell anyone who'd listen, "My mommy made this sweater." =)

5 comments:

sue said...

The ribbed cardigan looks great. Your daughter is so pretty too and looks quite happy to be the model. My 6 yr old daughter always needs handknits lengthened as she is quite tall and slim so things end up too short otherwise.

Marie said...

Sophie looks fantastic in her sweater!
Very wise of you to make the sweater longer than the instructions called for.

sappmama said...

This is adorable! And look at your sweet girl. Don't you love it when they treasure what you made?

Knittymuggins said...

Beautiful sweater and simply adorable photos of your cutie :) I'm so glad that she loves her new sweater so much!!

knittymuggins

yarnprincess said...

I love it! I am sure that your daughter will love it for many years to come. It's just beautiful and your daughter is as well!