Wednesday, May 14, 2008

When Your Knitting's Got You Down, Say Sew What

The Mini Sweater, my first top down project..................it's a failure. =( I ripped back and fix the shoulders/sleeves to make them wider. Then I put the sleeves on holders and knit my way down the body, made a nice neat button hole, and bound off. I tried it on right away only to discover this:



It fits in the sleeves, it fits in the front. But the back......................that's a whole 'nother story. In order to fix it, I would have to rip waaaaaay back to nearly the beginning, and well, I have no desire to do that. I could save the sweater in hopes that one day I'll sprout an enormous hunchback and be able to wear it. Or not. I'm frogging this thing. I'm dying to start on some summer projects. Maybe one day I'll attempt the Mini Sweater again. It is such a cute pattern.

I was feeling pretty disappointed from my failure, and wanted a quick project to restore some of my crafting self esteem. So I whipped up a summer dress for Sophie on the sewing machine. I altered top B on this pattern to be a dress:



I just need to make the bow for the neckline, add the elastic to the waist, and sew the hem. But here's a sneak peek:



It's in a light weight cotton blend with tiny blue and white pin stripes that my camera refuses to see.


3 comments:

Marie said...

Oh, I'm so sorry the sweater wasn't going right. You could always have worn it over your backpack. =)
I can't wait to see the dress. It looks so darling already.

Steph said...

Marie,
Lol That's a hilarious alternative I hadn't thought of. =)

a friend to knit with said...

oh shoot. sorry about your sweater. good luck with it.
i am sure you will get it just right.
what an adorable little dress.
look forward to seeing it on the happy little girl!