Sunday, May 18, 2008

Never Again

I can't tell you how many times I've browsed my knitting books or Ravelry, found a pattern I wanted to make, selected the yarn and then discovered I didn't have one of the knitting needle sizes I needed. This was mostly in the case of circular needles. I found it very frustrating to not be able to cast on until I'd hunted down and purchased the right needles. And it was never as simple as buying for example, the size US 6 24" circular the pattern said I needed. I tend to knit loosely compared to many pattern's gauge/needle size recommendations. So I'd have to buy a size 4, 5, and 6 to ensure I'd be able to get the right gauge. Well, those days are over my friends!


I ordered the Knit Picks Options set, the size 0-3 24" fixed circulars that the Options doesn't include, 16" fixed circulars in sizes 0-9, and the 6" double pointed sock needle set. Oh, and one more thing was in the package:


My first sock yarn!

I've never knit a pair of socks before, and I'd like to try in the near future. That's two skeins of Knit Picks Gloss (70% Merino, 30% Silk) in the Dolphin color way.

I was finally able to cast on th Summertime Tunic on Friday. It was one of those projects that I didn't have the correct needle sizes for. More details and pics to come.

5 comments:

Rhian said...

Ooh, congratulations! I've been hankering after an Options set myself, because the joins on my cheap circular needles are appalling, and there are few things more frustrating than yarn snagging on joins...

The Summertime Tunic looks so pretty and perfect for warm weather - I can't wait to see how yours turns out.

Jessica, aka TopazGirl said...

YAY, that's wonderful! What a fun package. Are catching a bout of startitis now, with all those sizes just ready and waiting? :)

Marie said...

I'm so glad you broke down and bought the interchangable kit. It's worth its weight in gold. I spent so much money on needles before I got mine.
Plus, I'm much more organized now.

Steph said...

Rhian,
Thank you - I'm loving them. They're very smooth with a nice pointy tip. I would recommend them without hesitation to anyone who's considering getting a set.

Jessica,
How did you know?! I'm trying to control my impulse by just sticking to one project at a time. But I can't seem to knit fast enough. There are so many cute summery tops that are waiting to jump on my needles. =)

Marie,
It is SOOO nice knowing that any needle I need is just an arms length away. I know what you mean - I was easily spending $10-$15 every time I needed to purchase a new circular. And that's not including shipping. I almost always had to order online to find the size I needed. There are no LYS's in my immediate area. And the general craft stores only carried a very limited range of sizes.

kibbles said...

Just LOOK at all those needles!!! WOW!!! I can feel my credit cards burning now. :)

Saw your post over at Ravelry about checking out your blog. I think it looks great and your writing is wonderful.