Sunday, February 3, 2008

A Light Bulb Moment

I can not put into words how excited my little knitterly self is about the following:



Do you see that?! There is a whole sweater growing right off of my needles!! It's the Minisweater (a.k.a. Boobholder) and it's knit top down. I had heard of that technique before, but never really stopped to think about what it entailed and what benefits it lent to sweater knitting. There will be no sewing of the shoulder seams, no meticulous setting in of sleeves, no picking up stitches to make the garter stitch border. And I can try this thing on as I go to ensure a perfect fit. And look how pretty and perfect the knit in raglan sleeves look:



I may be getting a little ahead of myself in my excitement. But I'm thinking I need to learn how to convert patterns that are knit from the bottom up into top down versions, so I can knit all of my sweaters that way. I wonder how difficult it is to do that? If anyone knows of a source ( a book maybe) that explains how to do that, please let me know.

So I knit the minisweater to the point where the pattern tells you to put all stitches onto a length of yarn, and then try it on to determine whether or not you need to knit more rows before dividing the back, sleeves, and fronts. Then, instead of doing that, I cast on another project. What can I say? I was in the mood to knit. Not fiddle around in front of the mirror.



It's the sweater on the left:



From this catalog:



There are many cute designs in that issue. You can see them all here. The book calls this sweater "veste (jacket) 23". I'm giving it a slightly more appealing name, Child's Classic Ribbed Cardi. I'm making it for Sophia in Rowan All Seasons Cotton, shade 186, which is more of a dusty lilac than how the color is showing up on my monitor.

P.S. I've been working on the tutorial about how to alter a pattern to be knit to a different gauge yarn. It should be up mid-week.


6 comments:

Craftybernie said...

I've been toying with the idea of knitting the top down sweater for a while... I love the colour you've got there - I've got a similar shade in Katia Cotton for Katie.

BTW, I love the Buton D'or cardi. Actually, just checked out the link - all the patterns are adorable. Very trendy indeed.

You must keep working on your top down 'boobholder'. You know you want to....

Knittymuggins said...

Top down sweaters are totally the way to go!! I have actually never knit anything else yet ;)

I bought, but haven't read yet, Barbara G. Walker's "Knitting From The Top Down" which is supposed to be really useful for writing sweater patterns from the top down. Maybe that would help :) *Love* that pink boobholder! Can't wait to see it finished....

knittymuggins

Nik said...

Those wrist warmers are to die for. And I'm in love with the stitch definition in that white yarn. You know, I find it hard to find a beautiful, quality white yarn. I'd love to buy some of what you've used.

Knitted Gems said...

I actually haven't tried a top down sweater yet. I'm excited to see how yours comes out. If you are as giddy now as you are when you finish, I'll have to try this. It does seem like it has many advantages.
BTW - I love the yarn you are working with in your next sweater. It's so pretty!

kate said...

that is so pretty. I haven't tackled a sweater yet but that might inspire me. I just haven't tried circular needles either. beautiful!!!!

a friend to knit with said...

i have only made one top down sweater, and LOVED it.
yours is looking beautiful!