Sunday, January 13, 2008

Out With The Old, In With The New

January's a fantastic time to do just that. I got the idea to make the Seed Stitch Dress, Marshmallow Bonnet, and Mary Janes for Bekki and her baby waaaay back in October. And now they're finally completed, wrapped up pretty, and ready to meet their recipient.




There's a buttoned opening at the back neck because we all know that one of babys many charms are their disproportionately large head to body ratio.






I *love* these buttons. =) They add just the flavor I was looking for.


FO Details

Seed Stitch Dress: (a.k.a. the Picot Dress)
From: Special Knits by Debbie Bliss
Knit For: Bekki & baby
Size: 6-12 months
Yarn: Rowan All Seasons Cotton, worsted weight, 98 yards/skein, shade 204. I didn't keep track of how many skeins I used per knitted item, but it took a total of 4 skeins to complete all of them. This is the first time I've worked with All Seasons Cotton. I will definitely use it again. It's so soft and has a great sproingy hand to it.
Button: An antiqued silver with floral etchings.
Started: October 16, 2007
Finished: January 10, 2008
My Thoughts: I've written plenty about this project before. So I'll just sum it up by saying that there was a point where this dress was a bit of a pita, and had me feeling pretty disappointed. But once I got over that, it wasn't very hard to alter the pattern for sizing/gauge issues. I'm so glad I finished this. I love it, and even more so, I love how all the pieces go together.

Mary Janes:
From: These are my own design.
Knit For: Bekki & baby
Size: 6-12 months
Yarn: Same as above.
Started: October ?, 2007
Finished: A couple days later
My Thoughts: This is the second pair of these that I've made. The first ones were done in dk weight yarn. These were done in worsted weight, and I found that the seams were a little bulky. I pressed them with my iron and a wet pressing cloth, which helped a lot. Next time around though, I'll use a thinner yarn for the seaming. Otherwise, I'm so happy with how these turned out.

Marshmallow Bonnet:
From: Itty-Bitty Hats by Susan B. Anderson
Knit For: Bekki & baby
Size: 6-12 months
Yarn: Same as above.
Started: October ?, 2007
Finished: A couple days later
My Thoughts: Such a cute hat, like so many others in the book. The pattern was very well written, and a piece of cake to follow.

So that's the old. What's the new? These:



That's an Irish Hiking Wrist Warmer. It's twin was cast on tonight and knit past the first repeat (there are 5 total). I'm making these for my Mom. I had wanted to make them for her for Christmas, but it just didn't happen.




7 comments:

RecycleCindy said...

That baby dress and set are adorable. The buttons are wonderful and really set off the outfit. The just love the color and everything.

Knitted Gems said...

The dress, bonnet and booties are just darling! I'm sure the new mom will just love them.

Rhian said...

I love the colour, and your seed stitch is beautifully even! I started 'Darcy' from Heartfelt a few days ago, but have since frogged and restarted (my seed stitch started loose and tightened up, so there were some holes in the first few rows. Not a good look!).

String Theory Blog said...

Wow, I REALLY like the wrist warmers! I played with the Fetching pattern, but wasn't super keen with how the results looked (but they feel great). I want to try this - your mom should be thrilled!
The designs on the HP quilt are my freehand interpretations of Mary GrandPré's line drawings from the books. It was surprisingly hard to pick ones that translated well.

nicolafraser said...

Hello there, just found your site, and I love all your creations. This baby set is just adorable. You are very clever! I shall be back to read some more x

Suzy said...

Steph! I am a newby and just started a seed stitch sweater in All Seasons Cotton yesterday. The folks at the LYS said I could not knit bonnet in ASC but needed to knit it in the yarn it called for. Then I saw your beautiful set and wondered if you had to adjust the bonnet pattern for the ASC. Loved the Mary Janes! Do you sell that pattern on ETSY? Thanks for any insight!

Craftybernie said...

Wow!

The whole set turned out really beautiful. It all looks so gorgeous. Especially the buttons. They set it off perfectly.

I love the simplicity of the outfit yet the moss stitch lifts it.

Well done!