Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Blogs I Read

The first blog I ever read was Yarn Harlot, back in the winter of 2006. This came about because I had just read her book Yarn Harlot - The Secret Life Of A Knitter. I loved it. It was the first time I had read stories completely devoted to knitting, and specifically the humorous/human side of the craft, as opposed to technical/instructional writing. And I wanted more. I noticed on the back cover of the book that it said she had a blog. I went to check it out. I decided that I should start with the archives and read through to the present. It took over a month of reading in my spare time to get to her then current posts. But I was hooked. Especially due to the fact that I didn't know a single other knitter in real life, it was so much fun to read the thoughts of someone who loved the craft as much as I did. I went on to discover many other knitting and sewing blogs. To this day, if a blog looks like one that really appeals to me, I start reading it from the beginning. I can't imagine doing otherwise. It would feel like picking up a book and starting on Chapter 6 - I would miss so much of the story. I find new blogs that I want to read all the time. And when I do, I bookmark them in a folder I have designated to blogs. When I start reading a blog, I add it to my sidebar. When I've finished reading one all the way to the present, I start on a different one, but I still check back for new posts on the ones already in my sidebar. The one problem with this, is that I discover cool new blogs faster than I can read them. So there are currently 68 in my bookmarked queue.
How do you read blogs? Do you start from the beginning? Is there a system to it? Are you pretty loyal to certain blogs you read? Or do you jump all over the place? Do you remember the first blog you ever read?

In project news, I'm happy to report that I've stuck to my No-New-Knitting in order to finish the Seed Stitch Dress and accessories that I'm making for Emily, who's expecting her first baby in February. The buttons are sewn on the mary janes and bonnet, which makes them officially finished. I've added the picot edging to the neck and one armhole of the dress, and sewed one side seam. Now all that remains is the edging for the other armhole, sewing the last side seam, and adding the button to the back neck opening. So close! And I'm so relieved. I had let this project slip to the wayside so much, that I had completely lost interest in it. It took some self control to get back on track enough to finish up. But I'm really glad I did. I'll have an FO post in the near future.

I've also turned into a shoe maker:











These things are so fun and addictive. I was just playing around with making a pattern about a week ago, and they kind of took on a life of their own. I'm planning more in other color combinations as soon as I can get my hands on more felt.

4 comments:

dandelionpicker said...

The first knitting blog I ever read? I think it was Through the Loops. I love that blog. I have 366 queued in bloglines as of today...and I read them daily. Except the ones without pics. I have to admit, if there's a bunch of writing and no pics, I just skim through...I can't help it!

Kate in Somerset said...

If a blog shows up in Google Alerts I start with the current entry. If that grabs my attention I'll look back at a few previous entries and maybe click the 'subscribe' button. I read fast and have lots in my list but I do weed it occasionally. There are only a few I read every entry. I think Mason Dixon was the first but maybe it was Wendyknits.

Knitted Gems said...

Your booties are so cute!

The first knitting blog I ever read was the Yarn Harlot too. I read about 43 daily now, but I am always looking for more new blogs. Unlike you, I just pick up the book at Chapter 6 and read on.

Craftybernie said...

These are adorable.

Have you considered making your own felt?

Or even making the shoes in gorgeous cotton & vintage fabrics? If you make a double layer (liner & outer) it would be as substantial as felt - although there would be more work involved....