Wednesday, December 26, 2007

You're Not Perfect, But I Love You Anyway

The Very Vanilla Mittens were finished on December 23rd. But with the chaos we call "Christmas", this is the first chance I've had to blog about them.






FO Details:
Project:
Very Vanilla Mittens - that's the name I've given them. They're actually called Classic Mittens and you can get the pattern for free at Free Vintage Knitting.
Started: December 09, 2007
Completed:
December 23, 2007
Made For: Sophia to match her Sugar On Snow hat. And they're also my December project for the Do Something New KAL as they're the first mittens I've ever made.
Yarn: Jaeger Extra Fine Merino Chunky in shade 021 (cream). It only took 1 skein (69 yards) to make these, which I'm very impressed with. =)
Modifications: The pattern called for worsted weight yarn, so I modified it for the chunky.
My Thoughts: Overall I'm happy with these. In hindsight, the one thing I would change is that I'd have made them just a little wider. When Sophie wears them, they stretch a little across the widest part of her hands, making the fabric thinner. I worry they won't be as warm as they could be, or that they won't completely keep the snow away from her skin. There is no snow right now, so I'll have to wait to find out. I really like this pattern though, and I could see myself using it again. It gives a large range of sizes, from 2 years all the way through men's medium. This is a vintage pattern (I'm not sure what year it was published), and I did find the way the instructions were worded to be very strange in some places. I've been knitting for 3 years, but I wondered if it might have caused some confusion had I been a new knitter.

And now there is nothing on my needles. There's a couple reasons for that. The first, I've been busy sewing for my Etsy shop. The second, I've procrastinated massively about adding the finishing touches to the Seed Stitch Dress, Marshmallow Bonnet & Mary Janes. In an effort to give myself a kick across the finishing line, I've imposed a No-New-Knitting rule until those are completed. I tend to be defiant when rules are imposed on me. So, the only thing that's going on right now is me defiantly avoiding finishing them, while I longingly gaze at new stuff. =}

Hope you all had a great Christmas. Here's a favorite pic from ours:



8 comments:

Knit and fall back in it said...

Cute mittens, I am going to try that pattern myself. Great pictuire of a beautiful little girl. I hope your whole family was as happy as she seems this Christmas.

Knit and fall back in it said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joel said...

Nice job on the mittens. :-)

Rhian said...

The mittens are darling! I have always wanted a pair, but it doesn't really get cold enough here, and I miss being able to use my fingers. I end up living vicariously through other peoples' mittens. :)

Sophie looks so happy and excited in the photo! I hope you all had a good Christmas.

Nikki said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nikki said...

Very cute! Were they gifts or do you plan to add to your Etsy shop?

http://www.tabihats.blogspot.com

Hadley Gets Crafty said...

What a lucky little girl you've got! Hope you made out like a bandit at Christmas...

Mrs.Kwitty said...

I think your mittens look fantastic!!

I love the absolute joy and love of life in your little one's face--THAT is the joy of Christmas!!

Smiles, Karen