Thursday, October 4, 2007

No Cutting In Line

So I finally jumped on the Ravelry bandwagon a month ago. I checked today, and it says I am:
  • #31,972 on the list (Wow, that's a lot of fiber lovers.)
  • 8,683 people are ahead of me in line
  • 7,589 people are behind me in line (It makes me feel like I'm getting somewhere by the fact that there are nearly as many people behind me as there are ahead of me.)
  • 58% of the list has been invited so far
Now, I can't help but wonder if the whole "waiting list" was a publicity scam. Did you ever hear the story about the guy who wanted to open a restaurant, but was well aware of how competitive the whole restaurant business is? So he decided to make his restaurant a "Members Only" type of place. He handed out memberships to several hundred of his co-workers. The only way other people could get into the restaurant, was if a member decided to grant them a membership. The restaurant turned out to be a smashing success. Of course the food was delicious as well - you can create all the hype you want, but if you don't have the product to back it up, people will quickly lose interest. Anyway, if the waiting list was implemented just to create the effect of thousands and thousands of fiber fanatics beating down the door to get in, well it worked. And I say kudos to the founders for finding a way to stand out from the millions (billions?) of websites that make up the world wide web. As to whether they've got the "product" to back up the hype? If you're behind me in line, I'll let you know when the 8,683 people ahead of me have been ushered in.
I've been working on the hand puppets that I blogged about yesterday. For all purposes of comparison, making the heads of these puppets is the same as making a doll's head. Let me say I have found a whole new respect for soft doll makers. It is a lot harder to make a doll's head and not have it come out looking like a lumpy mis-happen potato than I had first imagined. I became very frustrated with the one I was working on last night. I set it down on the kitchen table and busied myself with other things. A little while later, a friend came over, saw it, and made the comment that it looked like a stoner/skater doll. This was soooo funny to me because I had had the exact same thought, but she hadn't known that. I was intending for it to look like a cute-little-girl puppet. I think what had made it look like a stoner/skater was that I had knit it a hat, which was too small and looked more like a skull-cap, I hadn't used enough yarn when making her hair, so it looked thin, limp, and greasy, and her face was very long and slumpy looking. I wish I had thought to take a picture before she got her make over. I think you would've laughed. Anyway, it was definitely a learning experience.
I mentioned awhile back that I was going to be searching for a KAL to join. Well I have been looking, but I just can't find one with a project them I'm dying to do. And yes, it did cross my mind that I could start my own based on whatever project I want. But I'm still up in the air about whether I want to take on that responsibility. I have a huge perfectionist's streak, especially when other people are relying on my efforts. I hate the thought of starting one, and then dissapointing people because I don't have the time to make it a really well hosted one.
And since I don't like to post without offering some visual candy, here's a Karabella pattern that has been in my must-knit (someday) pile for about a year or so. Isn't it gorgeous? It's called the Glimmer Lace Top, and it's knit in Glimmer - 90% Rayon, 10% Lurex. Has anyone knit it before? Or know someone who's knit it?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

4 comments:

Sewlutions' World said...

Wow, you must have a lot of patience. I hope it is well worth it. That knitted top looks fantastic! I wish I could knit.

Cathy said...

good luck - hopefully it will be all you hoped and more when you "get in".

Crystal said...

Ran across your blog looking for Phildar 425 (I just have to knit the #30 zipper cardigan!), and just thought I'd say that Ravelry really does live up to the hype. The whole waiting list thing is because the site is still in beta testing, with one guy doing all the programming by himself. But I think you'll find it worth the wait... I did!

Cheryl said...

Well said.