Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Simple Is As Simple Does

It seems I've taken an unexpectedly long hiatus from posting. My apologies. My life feels like it's slipped into fast forward over the last few weeks. And the part of me that makes plans, writes my to-do list, and dreams up projects seems to have failed to realize that there are 24 hours in a day, not 48. =)

I have quit a few changes to report. First of all, the look and even the name of this blog. I've changed the name from "The Adventures Of Knit & Pearl" to "Girl Meets Yarn". The former was just too much of a mouthful for my tastes. The reason I chose it in the first place was because I had this whole theme and story planned out with two cartoon girls, one named Knit and one named Pearl. But since I've started this blog, the reality set in that I don't currently have the technical know-how, nor the time to learn how to create the page I had imagined. As my schedule continues to grow more demanding lately, I've felt the need to simplify where ever I can. I've left the URL the same (http://theadventuresofknitpearl.blogspot.com) so as not to create dead links or erase the time and effort I've put into submitting the URL to search engines. I admit, the perfectionist in me is slightly bothered by the discrepancy in my blog name and URL. But once again, the desire to keep things simple appears to be taking priority over everything else.

I've also added a widget of my Etsy shop to the side bar. I opened the shop a couple months ago to sell crafting accessories that I make, like knitting needle cases and project bags. And also children's clothing and anything else that I feel inspired to create. The shop is not nearly as well stocked as I want it to be, but I'm going to be adding as many more items as I can over the next few weeks.

And the biggest change to report? Sophie has started Kindergarten! I am as proud and excited as a mama could be. =) I love hearing about her day - the friends she's made, the games she's played, the things she's learned. I love watching the excitement on her face as she discovers this whole new world of school and all the fun things that go along with it.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Knitting - I haven't done nearly as much of that lately as I would have liked to. With that said, I am painfully close to being finished with She Who Shall Not Be Named. By "painfully", I mean that I want so badly to be finished with it so I can feel free to dive into other projects. It has been by far the most frustrating and emotionally trying knitting project I've ever done. I wanted to give up so many times. And two days ago, in a fit of frustration, I tore it from the needles and threw it onto the floor. Childish?..............yes, I don't deny it. =) I don't mean that there were any techniques or required skills that were difficult - not at all. It was pretty basic shaping, reverse stockinette, yarn overs, and picking up stitches. But with the combination of (many) errors in the pattern, my own I-want-to-kick-myself-mistakes, having to rip back multiple times, and the recent discovery that I can not find the last skein of yarn needed to complete this project, well.............you get the picture. And did I mention I haven't seen the elusive skein since I've moved? Which makes me think that it's laying lost and scared behind the U-Haul seat. Or in a corner of my former closet in Florida, some 1,200 miles away.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The back and two fronts are completed, the shoulders seamed, the collar picked up, knit, and bound off, and one side seam sewn. All that's left is the right side seam, the crocheted edging, the two ties, sewing in the ends, and blocking. I've unraveled the gauge swatch and I think I'll have enough to finish the seaming and maybe the edging (fingers crossed), but there's no way that I have enough to knit the ties. So a desperate search for a skein of Classic Elite Provence, color #2622, dye lot #N975 seems to be in my near future. {Que the "Unsolved Mysteries" theme song} If any of you out there reading tonight have any information on the whereabouts of a skein of this yarn, please contact the author of this blog. A reward is being offered in the form of cash, a yarn exchange, or the willingness to beg for your amusement.

Sheer stubbornness has brought me this far, and I refuse to give up. Until next time, happy ( and stress-free) knitting.

1 comment:

Ann said...

The top is really nice, indeed.