Saturday, September 22, 2007

Manic Crafting

It's funny, 'cause a few weeks ago I was stuck in one of those knitting/crafting ruts. You know, the kind where you really, really want to have a project to work on, but no matter how many books or patterns you look through, nothing appeals to you. I find it to be a very frustrating feeling. Well now I've done a complete 180. I have projects and plans coming out the ears. Here are parts 1 & 2 of gift-for-friend-having-a-new-baby #1. The bonnet is the "Marshmallow Bonnet" from Itty Bitty Hats by Susan B. Anderson. This is the first project I've made from it, and so far, I can't say enough good things about that book. Clear-as-day instructions, not one mistake in this pattern, beautiful photos that clearly show the knitted item, and spiral bound to lay flat while you work. Also, each project starts out with a list of techniques that are needed to complete it, with the page number that explains the technique in parenthesis beside it. Say you're knitting along and you come to a part that tells you to P2TOG TBL. Has it been awhile since you've done that technique, and your memory's a little foggy? Or is it one that you've never done before? Easy-peasy. Simply turn to the first page of the pattern, and it'll tell you exactly what page the instructions for that technique can be found on. There's no having to get up and search through your knitting book collection to find an explanation. How handy is that?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Anyway, the bonnet's all done and just awaits the perfect button for the chin strap. Unfortunately, that "perfect button" is not in my button stash. So a trip to the craft store is in my future. I'm picturing either a dark, polished wooden one or an antiqued silver one. I made the 6 - 12 month size and substituted Rowan All Seasons Cotton for the called for RYC Cashsoft Baby DK.
The mary jane shoes are my own design (also knit in All Seasons Cotton). They need blocked and sewn up, but I propped one of them up so you'd have an idea of how they'll look. The stitches that are on safety pins are going to be knit into straps, which will button with ones matching the button that goes on the bonnet. I'm going to make a dress to go with the shoes and bonnet. But I haven't yet decided whether to knit one or sew one.
Another Project in the works? Can you tell what those are below?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I'm curious to hear your responses, so leave a comment if you think you know. I'll reveal the answer in my next post.
Yet another idea that's been swirling around my head, is a new fall jacket for Sophia. I'm picturing a navy blue corduroy pea coat with a small print floral cotton lining and a waist belt. I'll keep you updated. Happy crafting. May your projects be plentiful and inspiring. =)

3 comments:

FiddleLee said...

I know exactly what you mean about taking a full 180 turn from crafting rut to project ideas galore. I'm right there with ya.
And your baby items.... gorgeous! Unfortunately I have no idea what the red/white polka dot and blue trim image is for.... except maybe to be sewn on the inside of a knitted thing... like a diaper bag. And that's a guess I pulled outta thin air lol

stilettoheights said...

I am a manic crafter too...that is a great way to describe it!

Amanda said...

Is it a case for circular knitting needles? I saw one recently that resembled that.